[geeks] Solaris 10 networking is giving me fits

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 09:19:16 CDT 2006

On 9/18/06, Micah R Ledbetter <vlack-lists at vlack.com> wrote:
> On Sep 18, 2006, at 05:57, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>
> > On Sep 18, 2006, at 2:12 AM, Micah R Ledbetter wrote:
> >
> > Did you try "ifconfig hme1 plumb" ?  Then do the svcadm restart
> > command.
>
> Oh, yes, but I forgot to mention it. It gives me the same "ifconfig:
> SIOCSLIFNAME for ip: hme1: already exists" error. (Just tried it
> again right now, too.)

I meant to add--this looks like ("alread exists") the SMF doesn't want
to change the config b/c it already has hme1 in it's running config.
There's probably some arcane method of changing the running settings,
or maybe we are making it too difficult?  Have you tried just using
"ifconfig"?

If you can use ifconfig, he downside is that you won't know if your
config settings are correct until you reboot the box.

=Nadine=