[geeks] I love it when software gets more efficient

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Sep 14 21:31:09 CDT 2006

Thu, 14 Sep 2006 @ 16:59 -0500, Michael Parson said:

> On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 05:38:40PM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > Thu, 14 Sep 2006 @ 00:44 -0700, William Kirkland said:
>
> <snip>
>
> >> ... and one user will defeat this by installing a private copy of
> >> some software, that has a specific behavior you have removed, then
> >> show his buddies ...
> >
> > You can stop users from doing this.  If they don't have root, they can't
> > install it in system areas.
> >
> > If they try to install it in user and data areas they have access too,
> > that's solved by removing the execute option from those paths.
> >
> > You really should do that anyway, since there is no reason to be able to
> > execute outside of your application paths anyway.
>
> Users should not have the ability to isntall binaries or scripts in
> their home directory?

You are changing the subject.

I wasn't arguing for or against the user execs, I was just pointing out
you can disable it, because the OP mentioned that was a way of getting
around sysadmin application policies.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["That which is overdesigned, too highly
specific, anticipates outcome; the anticipation of outcome garantees, if