[geeks] Firefox, affect of cache capacity settings

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 09:32:20 CDT 2006

On 9/10/06, Ryan Blair <blairrya at msu.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 15:12:54 -0400
> "Nick B." <nick at pelagiris.org> wrote:
>
> > Yes, I'm spoiled.  It's not 1980.  I expect my patch bundles to be
> > *ONE FILE*. Nick
>
> Realizing that this probably isn't your policy... some people prefer to
> be able to pick and choose which patches to apply, since some may be
> conflicting or disadvantageous to their setup. Personally, I prefer the
> flexibility of being able to choose.

OP was not asking for a monolithic patch installer, he was asking for
patches in an archive/bundle/tarball *collection* for $given_OS.  Or
perhaps you have to buy a special option to the support contract for
that?  Even Sun's not that retarded for *paying customers*.

Someone suggested ordering CDROMs...do you know how long it takes to
get mail to the right mailstop at $gov_agency?[0]  Or does IBM use
that ridiculous support fee you paid to ship via express courier?

OS bias is a very different beast from experiences with various
vendors of said OSes.  I mean, if DataOnTap (NetApp) was a full-blown
OS, I'd take it over any other vendor's stuff.  It has been several
years, but I never had any bad experiences with them and every SE I
ever talked to, even at 0200 was clueful.  Can't say the same about
any other vendor support, high priced or otherwise.  I understand
people think AIX is "the bomb"--I couldn't say having never laid hands
on it, and don't really care.  But I did sit through a marketing spiel
masquerading as an AIX for "other" *NIX sys admins class.  Their
piecemeal support/licensing costs is silly (buy a license for this,
buy a license for that, etc).  That kind of stuff is a fscking
nightmare to manage once you get to the boxes--why do you think people
buy site licenses for things like Veritas Volume manager?  If you have
a homogenous AIX shop it's probably not an issue, but in a shop with
one or two hosts?  Not so much.

=Nadine=

[0] Generic gov't security policies state that high-risk security
patches/clusters must be installed w/in 7 days of release iirc, and at
a minimum, regular patches should be installed quarterly.  <insert
rant about current $gov_agency that writes said policies trying to
apply said policies to their own house...talk about flashbacks to
1996...with the hardware to match>