[geeks] Samsung 204B flat panel

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Sep 11 13:15:57 CDT 2006

Mon, 11 Sep 2006 @ 18:06 +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson said:

> On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 10:35:15AM -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > The patents on Trinitron have expired from what I understand, so we now
> > have quite a few clones out there, or maybe they are even licensed, I
> > don't know offhand.
>
> Sony did not invent the Trinitron. Sharp did. I have a 20 year old TV
> downstairs with a Sharp Linytron (I think that's how it's spelled)
> tube in it.
>
> Sharp licensed the patents to Sony. They may even made them for Sony.

I believe you are incorrect.

Sony invented the original Trinitron in the 1960s.  In contrast to other
displays, it used a single gun with only a vertical grill, and a screen
that was vertically flat and horizontally parabolic.  It made for
sharper, larger, and brighter images.

I first saw a Sony Trinitron screen at NASA in the 1970s.

I can't find a reference to anything Linytron before the line of TVs by
the same name in the mid 1980s.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["That which is over designed, too highly
specific, anticipates outcome; the anticipation of outcome guarantees, if