[geeks] Firefox, affect of cache capacity settings

Andy Wallis rawallis at panix.com
Sun Sep 10 16:24:54 CDT 2006

On Sep 10, 2006, at 3:54 PM, Nick B. wrote:
> which makes getting the files from IBM much
> more painfull than it needs to be.

You can always call up IBM and ask for a media shipment of the
Technology Level (Maintenance Level) or Service Pack APAR. All you
need is a serial number and address. IBM will ship the CD-ROMs to you
without any hassles.

I don't know what the reason is, but lately getting IBM to do
anything or not ship MLs without regression has been rare. What has
made AIX development so damn dumb? $WORK demanded the ability to
upgrade the OS level (5.2 -> 5.3 -> 5.4) on a running hard disk. It
was tall order, but IBM said OK. The result, after many delays was a
half-assed thing called multi-bos. While the concept is nice, they
must have out to lunch.

"You can upgrade stuff, but it can't return a non-zero error code. It
will always come back successfully."
"You only need a current, and a fallback"
"You should always upgrade the TL using multi-bos because you can't
fall back."

What was really sad was one of our gurus fixed their strip command so
that it won't take hours on huge binaries. The guy gave them a diff
against their source code because we have access to it.  The AIX guys
didn't know what to do with the diff and it took them months to even
get an efix out of it.

I love AIX, but sometime I wonder if all the brains retired and the
monkeys are manning the booth.

-Andy Wallis