[geeks] Firefox, affect of cache capacity settings

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Sep 10 13:59:15 CDT 2006

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006, Nick B. wrote:

> And, RE: AIX, if I'd paid a few million $ for Firefox, I'd probably hold it to
> a higher standard, as I have not it's kinda sad that IBM can't even produce
> patch clusters,

You mean like these?

   http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/support/unixservers/aixfixes.html

DB2, AIX, WebSphere, and MQ all have "maintenance levels".  IBM's even
starting to use the PC term "service pack" for some software.

> and instead makes you download a billion tiny patches separately while
> Firefox goes "hey, there's a update, here's what it does, want it?".

Note that for the majority of the aftermentioned software, you -can-
upgrade the components of the software to the patched versions piecemeal
(if you want).  Usually, the fix bundles are just tarballs of patch
packages with a shell script that runs installp on them all; you can
just as easily use smitty to install the whole bundle or individual
updated packages.

Really, AIX is Not That Hard if you'd stop holding a grudge against it.

--
Jonathan Patschke    )   "A man who never dreams goes slowly mad."
Elgin, TX           (      --Thomas Dolby, "Valley of the Mind's Eye"