[geeks] I love it when software gets more efficient

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Sat Sep 9 12:05:26 CDT 2006

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> You can also integrate Firefox quite a bit by creating Gnome specific
> builds of it.
>
> Not sure what you meant here.

For starters, Firefox doesn't respect system-wide proxy settings under
GNOME or KDE.

> Personally, I don't like browser integration very much.  It causes
> enough problems that I avoid too much of it.
>
>> and that the (non-Windows) desktop doesn't have a way to support
>> hard-coded network-wide settings...
>
> You mean like proxy settings?  That can be done.
>> Getting those parameters set for 1000 people spread across 300
>> workstations would suck.
>
> What parameters would you need to set?

Hard coding proxy settings, or anything listed in about:config,
network-wide.

Restricting what settings can and cannot be seen or changed by the end
user - cache size, proxy settings, everything you see in about:config.

Globally adding a link to the bookmarks or link bar.

Those are things that can be done with Group Policies in a Windows
environment.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com