[geeks] I love it when software gets more efficient

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Sep 9 09:55:06 CDT 2006

Fri, 08 Sep 2006 @ 16:48 -0500, Phil Brutsche said:

> Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> > Like the other poster said, it is 2006 and we can't have a decent and
> > well written browser, but maybe we can tweak its runaway consumption
> > at least a little bit.
>
> It's also sad that we don't have a browser that integrates with your
> desktop environment...

Konqueror is an embeddd browser as well, completely integrated into all
aspects of KDE.

You can also integrate Firefox quite a bit by creating Gnome specific
builds of it.

Not sure what you meant here.

Personally, I don't like browser integration very much.  It causes
enough problems that I avoid too much of it.

> and that the (non-Windows) desktop doesn't have a way to support
> hard-coded network-wide settings...

You mean like proxy settings?  That can be done.

Anything else, I'm not sure what good it would do you, but you could do
that too by distribution of various chrome files, or if you want do it
in a custom build for your users.

I don't see any way to do much more in Windows either, and it frequently
"forgets" both local and global settings, sometimes on every single
update.  Of course, Firefox has this disease in the UNIX version too
now.  I'd like to know what the purpose of changing arbitrary settings
on an update is.  In fact, it pisses me off that they make the damn
thing jump to a new home page when you update, and don't let you remove
certain extensions like the bug reporter.

> Getting those parameters set for 1000 people spread across 300
> workstations would suck.

What parameters would you need to set?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [Well, I have entered the "metallic years."
Silver in my hair, gold in my teeth, lead in my ass... -- Sheldon Hall in