[geeks] I love it when software gets more efficient

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Fri Sep 8 02:39:54 CDT 2006

On Sep 8, 2006, at 02:11, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> When Firefox last crashed on my PowerBook, it was eating 1.3GB of
> physmem.  On my BSD system at work, I routinely see it at 800MB and
> spamming the hell out of the X server.
>
> The web's been mainstream for over a decade now.  Someone HAS to be
> able
> to do better than this trainwreck.

Amen. )This thread seems to come up every once in a while. The
situation is never improved :()

Choices of web browsage seem to be:
  - something with a lot of minor frustrations that build up (eg
Opera: interface works, if you can wrestle it into doing so, no
extensions, some silly incompatibilities)
  - awesome, but crashy (firefox with certain extensions, camino with
the terrible and unofficial extensions)
  - just terrible (IE. :))
  - only available on one platform (camino, )
  - all of the above (IE)

For the record, I use Camino for OS X, and Firefox for Windows &
Linux. It honestly seems to perform the best under Windows (talking
responsiveness; AFA mem usage goes, I'm not sure). Thunderbird is dog
slow for me no matter what platform I'm using, with a couple of IMAP
mailboxes with 10K+ messages, and I can't stand to use it - I use
Mail.app, mutt, or webmail.

  - Micah