[geeks] I love it when software gets more efficient

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Sep 8 02:11:59 CDT 2006

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Phil Brutsche wrote:

>> Firefox was using 220MB, and Thunderbird was using 280MB.
>
> Sometime I'm lucky if it's that small after even 6 hours...
>
> At times I have a 700MB Thundirbird process, and about 200MB for
> Firefox.

When Firefox last crashed on my PowerBook, it was eating 1.3GB of
physmem.  On my BSD system at work, I routinely see it at 800MB and
spamming the hell out of the X server.

The web's been mainstream for over a decade now.  Someone HAS to be able
to do better than this trainwreck.

--
Jonathan Patschke    )   "A man who never dreams goes slowly mad."
Elgin, TX           (      --Thomas Dolby, "Valley of the Mind's Eye"