[geeks] faster www cache

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Sep 7 20:41:44 CDT 2006

Thu, 07 Sep 2006 @ 13:22 -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo said:

> On Sep 7, 2006, at 1:15 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>
> > I've been running squid for years as my WWW cache.
> >
> > Yesterday I decided to look at the statistics and they are
> > disappointing.
> >

> I suggest you check the maximum size of the objects you are caching.

4MB, which I'd think is large enough.

> But for a single user, 8% sounds about right.  The idea of a cache is
> to reduce bandwidth usage , for a group of people, who presumably some
> of the time are viewing the same page from different machines.

True, but since so many desktop programs are hitting the WWW, usually
the same pages, I thought it might help.

> Another thing:  in your browser, turn off or greatly reduce the local,
> on-disk cache.  Probably the browser is saving you some bandwidth as
> well.  Reduce the size to maybe 1MB instead of the usual 50MB or so,
> then see if the cache numbers increase.

Unfortunately, most browsers only let you control disk cache, not RAM
cache.

I'd like to shoot whoever made that decision.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [There is a limit to how stupid people really
are -- just as there's a limit to the amount of hydrogen in the Universe.