[geeks] faster www cache

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Thu Sep 7 12:22:09 CDT 2006

On Sep 7, 2006, at 1:15 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> I've been running squid for years as my WWW cache.
>
> Yesterday I decided to look at the statistics and they are
> disappointing.

I suggest you check the maximum size of the objects you are caching.

But for a single user, 8% sounds about right.  The idea of a cache is
to reduce bandwidth usage , for a group of people, who presumably some
of the time are viewing the same page from different machines.

Another thing:  in your browser, turn off or greatly reduce the local,
on-disk cache.  Probably the browser is saving you some bandwidth as
well.  Reduce the size to maybe 1MB instead of the usual 50MB or so,
then see if the cache numbers increase.

--Patrick