[geeks] ultralight suicide mission

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at liftport.com
Tue Oct 31 11:44:24 CST 2006

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Tue, 31 Oct 2006 @ 07:17 -0600, Lionel Peterson said:
>
>>> From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>>> Date: 2006/10/30 Mon PM 11:31:37 CST
>>> To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>>> Subject: Re: [geeks] ultralight suicide mission
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Most HALO jumps are at lower altutides like 15-20 thousand feet, with
>>> some at 30K feet.
>>>
>>> Even at "only" 30K feet you need special chutes and breathing equipment.
>>>

>>> --
>>> shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Meddle not in the affairs of Wizards, for
>>> thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup." -- unknown]
>> Don't forget the stain-resistant underwear ;^)
>
> I was thinking about that, but when you first drop from over a certain
> altitude, you are in partial vacuum. I'm not sure stains would be your
> biggest concern.
>
>> I figured I'd get the name wrong, thanks for the clarification...
>
> If you are curious, check these links out:
>
> http://halojumper.com
> http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Lighter_than_air/Balloons_and_Space/LTA17.htm
>
> Check out the records set by civilians for HALO. Several guys have gone
> over 30K feet. I bet the equipment is expensive. Interesting how they
> rank themselves by total distance fallen rather than number of jumps.
>
> The second link has all of the balloon records and some information
> about the high altitude jumps.
>
> Makes you wonder... they don't mention death, but you have to figure it
> happened.

We've been contacted by people who are seriously interested in using our
tether and lifter - you know, once it's been built - to jump from the
edge of space - above 40,000 meters.

Not something I'd care to try.  I assume that the difficulty and expense
involved lowers the death rate down below, say, traveling by car.

You have to know what you're doing just to get there.  Anyone can climb
in a car.

--
Brian Dunbar
System Administrator

brian.dunbar at liftport.com
aim: bdunbar1967

this email is: [ ] bloggable [x] ask first [ ] private

Remember.
But move forward, too. Light a candle, yes. But also drive a rivet.
~Lileks