[geeks] ultralight suicide mission

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Oct 31 10:35:44 CST 2006

Tue, 31 Oct 2006 @ 07:17 -0600, Lionel Peterson said:

> >From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> >Date: 2006/10/30 Mon PM 11:31:37 CST
> >To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
> >Subject: Re: [geeks] ultralight suicide mission
>
> <snip>
>
> >Most HALO jumps are at lower altutides like 15-20 thousand feet, with
> >some at 30K feet.
> >
> >Even at "only" 30K feet you need special chutes and breathing equipment.
> >

> >--
> >shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Meddle not in the affairs of Wizards, for
> >thou art crunchy, and taste good with ketchup." -- unknown]
>
> Don't forget the stain-resistant underwear ;^)

I was thinking about that, but when you first drop from over a certain
altitude, you are in partial vacuum. I'm not sure stains would be your
biggest concern.

> I figured I'd get the name wrong, thanks for the clarification...

If you are curious, check these links out:

http://halojumper.com
http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Lighter_than_air/Balloons_and_Space/LTA17.htm

Check out the records set by civilians for HALO. Several guys have gone
over 30K feet. I bet the equipment is expensive. Interesting how they
rank themselves by total distance fallen rather than number of jumps.

The second link has all of the balloon records and some information
about the high altitude jumps.

Makes you wonder... they don't mention death, but you have to figure it
happened.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Work for something because it is good, not
just because it stands a chance to succeed." -- Vaclav Havel]