[geeks] Vista is a job creator...

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Mon Oct 30 11:34:16 CST 2006

Quoth Charles Shannon Hendrix ...
> Sun, 29 Oct 2006 @ 10:01 -0800, Jon Gilbert said [of MS Vista]:
>
> > People will hack it.
>
> Eventually, we won't be able to, and the other side of this is that
> hacking it is progressively criminalized as each new protection is
> created.

I can't imagine that Vista, or anything else non-trivial, will ever be
completely crack-proof.  It's demonstrably difficult to make OSes even
fairly crack-resistant.

Maybe _we_ won't be able to crack it, but others will.

The criminality issue isn't one, really.  Quite a few countries have no laws
against it at all, and even those that do have laws don't seem to enforce
them very often.  Certainly, the "uber-hax0r" ego, and drive for gain,
demonstrated by the current crop of zombieists, root-kitters, and general
crackers, isn't going to go away.  That's the same ego that says "they can't
catch _me_!"

Not to mention that the average intelligence of the 'net isn't getting any
higher, and social engineering will always be with us.

-Shel