[geeks] Remember, remember, the fourth of November

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Sun Oct 29 18:53:35 CST 2006

On Oct 29, 2006, at 7:32 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Huh.  Looks like that RBL is confused.  (Or of course outdated.)
>
> Guess I'd better take it out, which may mean more spam will make it
> through.

I have found greylisting works very well and stops probably 90% of the
spam I was getting when using only spamhaus/dsbl .

Apparently a lot of the spam I was getting was via botnets controlled
by spammers.

They don't have a real email server running on the infected machines so
don't properly queue and retry as greylisting requires.

Caveat:  you need to whitelist gmail and yahoo email servers, since
multiple machines will try to deliver the same email.

--Patrick