[geeks] electric cars

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Oct 28 12:18:44 CDT 2006

Tue, 24 Oct 2006 @ 11:45 -0400, Nadine said:

> We knew a couple of hobbiest rally guys in CA, and they claimed that
> Subaru put a different transmission in the competition cars than the
> ones sold to the public.

In rally racing, competition transmissions are almost always a
sequential shifting unit, unless the particular class doesn't allow
that.

You will occasionally find a driver who doesn't like them.

> They also claimed the stock trannies to be "glass"--i.e. highly
> susceptible to damage.  I say "claimed" because I didn't know them
> well enough to know if they were talking out their a$$ or not.

*ALL* transmissions are highly susceptible to damage. Some racing units
are even worse than street units. Racing units will (or should) have
stronger parts (better quality metal, etc), but they are still pretty
fragile.

The primary issue with competition rally is the high speed, and the
frequent hits on the bottom. Armor helps, but even with that precaution,
it isn't uncommon for a driver to lose one or more gears during a race.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [Well, I have entered the "metallic years."
Silver in my hair, gold in my teeth, lead in my ass... -- Sheldon Hall in