[geeks] electric cars

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 10:54:58 CDT 2006

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>> Which is why I've gone all Audi at my house.  Pretty much every
>> vehicle they make is available with AWD and stick.  I've got an A4 and
>> a TT, both AWD (quattro in Audi parlance) and 6 speed stick.
>
> Subaru also offers AWD on several models.

I'm reasonably certain that every car Subaru has ever sold in the US (if
not every car they've made) is AWD.

> Does anyone know how well they hold up or how well their system works?

The system holds up pretty well, but I've noticed it gets confused
sometimes in situations that my Audi takes in stride.  (Audis have
computer-controlled differentials and Subarus have passive-locking ones.)

> I drove an AWD WRX with the Japanese conversion (a kit to remove a lot
> of the US restrictions on the engine) and it was a lot of fun.  My
> biggest complaint was the interior didn't look that great, and I
> wondered how well it held up.
>
> One thing I've always liked about VW and Audi is their interiors look
> as good as a BMW.

I like them better than BMW.

Peace...  Sridhar