[geeks] Jericho

Rick Hamell hamellr at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 18:41:37 CDT 2006

> The BSG back story explains or implies that the low-tech approach aboard
> the warships is deliberate - high speed low drag gear was easily
> subverted by the enemy.
>
> Me - I've always wondered if it was simply an effort to save money on
> set dressing.  When you can go out and just _get_ the stuff at a surplus
> yard it saves money having to design and build the stuff.  Perhaps the
> production company had not forgotten that the original was one of the
> most expensive shows to produce in it's day, which led to it's quick
> demise when the ratings sank.

I have to disagree with this. Even though it was expensive to produce, the
general tech level of the Original series (with the exception of FTL of
course) seemed to be about the same as that in the day. It always felt to me
to be a "this could be us if we only had this one tiny breakthrough."

This is one of the things I like about both series. It adds to the realism
of the show for me, and hits me harder emotionally. Instead of phasers,
light sabers, and laser guns, we have easily recognizable modern slug
throwers. Although I do think the HumVee was out of place in the Caprica
episodes, they could have easily picked up any number of less recognizable
military vehicles to use as props and still had the same tech level feel.

Rick