[geeks] electric cars

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Wed Oct 25 14:24:46 CDT 2006

" From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
"
" On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:03:10 -0400 (EDT)
" adh at an.bradford.ma.us (Sandwich Maker) wrote:
"
" > " > didja know the current price of bulk alcohol is over $5/gal?  now
" > that " > mtbe is out, it's in very short supply as a gasoline
" > additive. "
" > " Didja know that this is because it isn't produced as a common
" > vehicle " fuel right now?
" >
" > oh yeah.  we're essentially burning food-grade fuel.  i'm sure it has
" > adm laughing all the way to the bank.
"
" True, but we don't *have* to get it from adm or even from that kind of
" source.

also true, but we currently get it from corn, and adm controls ~90% of
the corn crop.

" > cellulosic ethanol will be the saviour, if and when it ever becomes
" > practical.
"
" That's not the only source, though I have read it would produce large
" quantities cheaply.

neat total conversion of plants to alcohol, since plants are mostly
cellulose...

" I think a plant locally is experimenting with it, but most of what we
" have locally is using agri-waste and trash-fuel conversions.

...and agri-waste has large amounts of cellulose in it?

likewise trash.

" > " > electrics won't last any longer than current cars, on salty winter
" > " > roads.
" > "
" > " Why not?
" >
" > rust.
"
" Rust can be taken care of, and not all cars rust severely even in the
" rust-belt.

if it can be taken care of, why hasn't it?  why would electric cars be
different?

" > " The biggest reason cited for vehicle replacement is drivetrain
" > failure.
" >
" > nationwide, or just in the rust belt?
"
" Drivetrain failure is a primary cause of vehicle retirement everywhere,
" regardless of rust.  Most people are not willing or able to replace
" engines due to the complexity,

there's also the false economic comparison of repair cost vs. car
market value.  mr/ms average would bail on this even if the car was in
good shape otherwise, paid for, and would give many more years of
service.

" but most people could change an electric
" motor with little trouble.  It is also easier for mechanics, though
" they might not be happy about that, I don't know.

i think you're overestimating the mechanical skills and/or motivation
of 'most people'.  yes, the electric motor would be simpler, but still
not simple enough for the mechanically challenged, and its weight
isn't likely to ever be low enough to easily lift in one or even two
hands.

" Then again, if the repairs were cheaper, you might actually see more
" people use mechanics and maybe their business would be even better if
" people decided electrics were cheap enough to get regular maintenance.

then again, if they're cheap enough they might be viewed as
disposable...

" > " They should be more efficient, but there is a lot of transmission
" > and " charging loss in the equation for large numbers of electric
" > cars.
" >
" > that's true.  i've heard that transmission loss is as much as 50%, and
" > that gas pipelines transmit power more efficiently than power lines.
"
" Depends on the voltage, lines, terrain, and distance.
"
" One of the problems with some areas running out of power or not having
" local generation at all is we are relying more on long-distance
" transmission, which results in even more loss.

and it's a hidden cost, like the pollution in car manufacture, so few
are aware of how much it hits them.

digression: my gf was pointing out that all the folks who object to
the windmill farm -way- off the coast of martha's vineyard have no
problem with telephone poles right in front of their houses...

" > " We are also near peak power in many areas.
" >
" > not around the clock.  cars could be recharged only in off-peak times.
"
" They could be, but they won't be.
"
" People will forget to charge, and then try to charge at work, during
" their lunch hour, etc.
"
" Peak charging loads will follow people's habits just like sewage, water
" usage, and traffic systems do already.

true, unless they have sufficient counter-motivations.

you could have differential rate pricing, so that off-peak was much
cheaper and on-peak much more expensive.

you could make charging your car during peak hours ticketable, like
parking in a loading zone.

you could make the cars smart enough to have an auto-docking ability
like the roomba vac - park it in its usual spot ant let it find the
power tap itself...

" Should, could, and would often do not meet...

especially when know-nothing power addicts - like phbs and politicians
- get involved...