[geeks] RANT (ftp)

Bryan Fullerton fehwalker at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 09:32:30 CDT 2006

On 10/24/06, velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com> wrote:
> Makes you wonder why people question that there are legal uses for BitTorrent...

Every time I see a torrent download link for a piece of software (or
any data, for that matter) it makes me feel happier about using it.

> I suspect the real reason for corporations turning off ftp is more the
> desire to get all traffic stats into a single system so as to make
> pretty pictures for management.

Yes, suits love the pictures. And they really love the pictures of
stats - abstraction of an abstraction, reducing any significant
reality impact.

> Generating homogenous stats is most
> easily done leveraging the existing web infrastructure.  While I
> understand this desire, having supported the horror that is Urchin, I
> can't condone it.  (Yes, I know it's "better" than WebTrends, but that
> doesn't make Urchin *good*.)

I would have given a kidney to switch to Urchin back when I had to
support a WebTrends Enterprise install processing *log files* for a
1M+ view/day web site (there is no logic in this, don't try to find
it).

Of course, Urchin is now a Google Analytics product. I'm not
optimistic that this is progress.

Bryan