[geeks] RANT (ftp)

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 14:59:12 CDT 2006

On 10/24/06, Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> Then there are the even worse sites that use queues and/or timers
> before you can download.
>
> The problem is that it forces you to sit there idle and babysit the
> downloads one at a time.  That's a huge waste of time.
>
> Back before the Internet got improved, it used to be so much faster...

Makes you wonder why people question that there are legal uses for BitTorrent...

Some of the indirection stuff can be worked around if you have a look
at the embedded URLs that you are proferred up.  This is how I have
gotten around the "slow loading" of some web comics.  I figure using
wget to fetch them all is using less of the owner's bandwidth, though
that cuts out me seeing the adverts.

I suspect the real reason for corporations turning off ftp is more the
desire to get all traffic stats into a single system so as to make
pretty pictures for management.  Generating homogenous stats is most
easily done leveraging the existing web infrastructure.  While I
understand this desire, having supported the horror that is Urchin, I
can't condone it.  (Yes, I know it's "better" than WebTrends, but that
doesn't make Urchin *good*.)

=Nadine=