[geeks] electric cars

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Mon Oct 23 16:34:32 CDT 2006

Dan Duncan wrote:
> In a hybrid design, especially a series hybrid design where rpms
> don't need to vary by much, why don't we see more efficient fuels
> than gasoline?

What most people don't realize is a diesel hybrid will easily double the
fuel economy of a gasoline hybrid.  However...

a) a diesel hybrid will be noisy
b) you really really don't want to shut one off at a light, they're
worse than a gasoline motor at retaining heat
c) a diesel hybrid will produce some black smoke

Those points are all the exact opposite of why many buy hybrids to begin
with.

Modern European diesels fix a) and c), but you need to meet or exceed
European diesel fuel standards to be able to run any of 'em. That much
is fixed, at least...

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com