[geeks] electric cars

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 14:57:19 CDT 2006

On 10/23/06, Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us> wrote:
> " From: velociraptor <velociraptor at gmail.com>
> "
> " There are also sites cropping up with kits to put VW diesels into
> " things like Suzuki Samurai's and Toyota's small pickups.  And these
> " are not new, just getting more attention.
> "
> " I am going to talk to my brother about the possibility of doing an
> " engine swap for me.  He's a "rock crawler" and has intimate knowledge
> " of the Samurai, as that's his 4-wheeling platform--not that it's
> " recognizable in it's current form. :-)  Though, I'll go for a Toyota
> " Tacoma conversion if I take that route.  In any case it's just the
> " kind of weird and unusual project that appeals to his twisted sense of
> " interest.
>
> i'm astonished anyone would bother to swap a vw diesel into a toyota
> when toyota has so many excellent diesels themselves.

Alas, these diesels are not sold in the US, apparently due to the poor
quality of US diesel fuel.  So, it'd probably require a big
importation hassle, whereas you can source and buy a new VW TDI engine
and "fitment" kit for a Tacoma easily.

There are some reports of folks importing some of the diesel Toyota
4x4's from Canada, but  I haven't found anything on other types of
diesel Toyota's up there.  I haven't been looking long, though.

=Nadine=