[geeks] engage your cloaking devices!

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Oct 21 13:42:56 CDT 2006

Fri, 20 Oct 2006 @ 11:58 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:

> Michael Parson wrote:
> >>From what I understood from the article, this has more of an application
> > in radar stealth than anything else, which is highly applicable.
>
> Radar stealth would be a great application, yes -- assuming they can
> make it work with multiple radar frequencies at once, and make it
> "cloak" the metamaterial as well as whatever's inside it.  The trouble
> right now with using metamaterials to hide things is that after you hide
> the object by surrounding it with metamaterial, you have to hide the
> metamaterial too ....

Not necessarily.

For example, instead of thinking of making things disappear, you might
use this "problem" as a way of making something appear to be another
thing entirely.

Even if you stick strictly within the idea of concealment in warfare, it
would still be useful because while you could tell there was an object,
you would likely not know what it was.

Any enemy has to decide: "Is this a real target, or a projection, a
mirage, a decoy, or is it maybe one of my own units the enemy has
cloaked to trigger friendly fire?"

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny." --
Unknown]