[geeks] Cheap refurb SCSI drives?

Geoff Reed geoffr at zipcon.net
Thu Oct 19 15:58:21 CDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: geeks-bounces at sunhelp.org [mailto:geeks-bounces at sunhelp.org] On Behalf
Of Jonathan C. Patschke
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 10:38 PM
To: The Geeks List
Subject: Re: [geeks] Cheap refurb SCSI drives?

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Michael Parson wrote:

>> There is a reason why the Hitachi Deskstar was nicknamed "Deathstar".
>
> They had one model that was bad, the 75 gig one, IIRC,

The IBM Deskstar model 75GXP, which ranged in capacity from 15GB to
75GB, I believe.  I had an 75GB model, which I bought as part of a PC
containing an Intel CC820[0] motherboard, and a Soundblaster Live![1].

That experience left me thinking that I didn't want much to do with
building whitebox PCs anymore.

----

The 30, 40 and 90 gig deathstars also shredded themselves. The most common
failure I saw was the circuit board overheating and writing gibberish to the
drive, although several developed the scream of death, what I was told by a
upper tier support tech at IBM support was the biggest problems with the
drives was excessive heat generation and that the motor/spindle design was
engineered for a single platter... when they went 2 or 3 platters there were
no redesign for the extra weight and hence extremely shortened product life
(a $.50 bearing upgrade would have alleviated most of the grief.....)