[geeks] Cheap refurb SCSI drives?

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Thu Oct 19 12:19:37 CDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 12:38:28AM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Michael Parson wrote:
>
>>> There is a reason why the Hitachi Deskstar was nicknamed "Deathstar".
>>
>> They had one model that was bad, the 75 gig one, IIRC,
>
> The IBM Deskstar model 75GXP, which ranged in capacity from 15GB to
> 75GB, I believe.  I had an 75GB model, which I bought as part of a PC
> containing an Intel CC820[0] motherboard, and a Soundblaster Live![1].

That must have been the 75 I was thinking about, I knew that number was
significant.

The only Hitachi drives I have used with any regularity were their 180G
and 200G Deskstars, we have several T of them spinnig a few jobs back.
They seemed to do a decent job by that point in time.

> That experience left me thinking that I didn't want much to do with
> building whitebox PCs anymore.
>
>> thought I don't recall what the exact problem was, I never had that
>> particular drive.
>
> Oh ho!  The drive would just slowly shred itself.

<snip>

Eep.

--
Michael Parson