[geeks] Solar Panels on  residence - anyone?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Oct 19 08:18:21 CDT 2006

>From: James Fogg <James at jdfogg.com>
>Date: 2006/10/19 Thu AM 06:41:03 CDT
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] Solar Panels on  residence - anyone?

>> In short, they mount a huge array of photovoltaic cells on
>> the roof, and install some elaborate electronics to manage
>> the flow of electricity into the house (or back on to the
>> power grid for a rebate?).
>>
>> http://www.njcep.com/ - NJ Clean Energy Program website
>>
>> http://www.advancedsolarproducts.com/ - a local vendor, they
>> have pics of some local installs...
>

>That would solve two problems for me. I need a new roof and I need
>cheaper power.

Well, you'd need a roof *under* the photo cells (though I hear there is a company in Michigan that has developed roof tiles that take the place of shingles - Jeff Daniels (dumb and dumber co-star) does a radio ad for Michigan business that refers to the company, but I can't remmeber the name)...

The cheaper power does not directly offset the cost of the panels (one site mentioned it might take 10 years for the panels to pay for themselves, but electric bills may be reduced by about 25%, based on one selected example).

In my case, I want the reduction in dependence on the power grid (heck, my water and septic are private, and I have enough land to start a decent garden to sustain my family if needed).

Lionel