[geeks] Cheap refurb SCSI drives?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Oct 18 23:14:49 CDT 2006

Wed, 18 Oct 2006 @ 16:59 -0400, John Francini said:

> Yup.  The RZ28-B was the Seagate version.
>
> Others came from Conner (remember them?), Micropolis (-M variant, I
> think), and more.  On the bare drive, each was indicated by the
> suffix letter.

Yes, I remember Conner. Never owned many of them though. Mostly saw them
at various workplaces.

I have a pair of Quantum Pro Drives in a pair of Mac IIci machines, with
over 8 years run time on them, and no errors.

Quantum seemed to have started to have trouble in the mid 90s. A
friend's father worked for them, and he hinted at that. He recommended
we buy an Atlas drive if we bought a Quantum.

I've been thinking about those Maxtor Atlas drives because they are so
much cheaper, but I really worry about it. Atlas or not, the label says
Maxtor, and I wonder if they are maintaining the former level of quality
control.

Micropolis... better known in the mid 90s as Micrapolis.

That company completely fell apart by the mid 90s.  Every single drive
they or DEC shipped to us failed in under 60 days.  We used to make
bets on which day it would be.

They would start vibrating first usually, then buzz now and then. Within
a week or two they'd start that horrid high pitched squeal common to
older IBM Ultrastar drives. Then it got to banshee level and the drive
would fail in the next few weeks. It was often accompanied by extreme
heat and vibration.

Every... single... one of them.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["There is no such thing as security.  Life
is either bold adventure, or it is nothing -- Helen Keller"]