[geeks] Cheap refurb SCSI drives?

John Francini francini at mac.com
Wed Oct 18 15:59:30 CDT 2006

Yup.  The RZ28-B was the Seagate version.

Others came from Conner (remember them?), Micropolis (-M variant, I
think), and more.  On the bare drive, each was indicated by the
suffix letter.

All of the drive variants of the RZ28 (and RZ29, etc.) were
constrained to a given guaranteed specified number of sectors.  A DEC
2 GB drive was actually exactly two real gigabytes of space, if I
recall correctly (4,194,304 512-byte sectors of capacity).  None of
this 2 billion (decimal) bytes nonsense (i.e., 2x10^9).  Ditto with
the RZ29 4-GB drives, with 8388608 512-byte sectors.

So when you bought a DEC drive, you got all the gigabytes that you
paid for.

John