[geeks] Oldest OS Still Developed

Andy Wallis rawallis at panix.com
Wed Oct 18 18:55:46 CDT 2006

On Oct 18, 2006, at 1:15 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Whatever runs the US Air Traffic Control system would get my vote...

NAS(National Airspace System) is a hacked-up version of VM. I don't
know when it was forked exactly, but NAS is still updated to this
day. I get notices of NAS patch tapes. Everything else that is
critical is mostly UNIX, QNX, and other OSs. AIX is the prominent of
the UNIXes as I recall. Other than Harris' VCS , I don't know of
operational critical servers running Windows or Linux.  I laughed
when I heard RedHat harping up a Volpe display box running Linux.
Unless an air traffic controller is using it to control aircraft, it
isn't hardcore ATC.

> Last I heard, REPEATED attempts to replace those platforms have
> failed, leaving us with a very mature product.
IBM Federal Systems's AAS(Advanced Automation System) failed because
the specifications kept changing and it became a running target.
Raytheon's STARS failed, from what I heard, because of serious
quality issues. NAS is being slowly phased out as new systems replace
legacy ones.

After the AAS boondoggle, the FAA decided to replace the NAS
infrastructure piecemeal in small cost chunks. Rather than a single
multi-billion dollar program, the modernization was to be done in
subsystem increments.  I believe the old NAS VM is expected to go
offline in the late 2010s. Given the FAA's request to replace
machines in a quicker cycle, we shouldn't have future programs where
we have boxes falling apart due to age.

-Andy "Washington ADIZ and Presidential TFRs are of the devil" Wallis