[geeks] Oldest OS Still Developed

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed Oct 18 16:23:32 CDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 10:06:21PM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:
> The funniest thing about IBMs mainframe operating systems is the story
> of VM. IBM repeatedly tried to kill it off and get customers to use
> their 'real' OS, and found it impossible ... especially when their own
> internal developers were busily using it to develop that 'real' OS!

Two of my favorite books:

"IBM's Early Computers"
http://www.amazon.com/IBMs-Early-Computers-History-Computing/dp/0262022257

"IBM's 360 and Early 370 Systems"
http://www.amazon.com/IBMs-Early-Systems-History-Computing/dp/0262161230

I paid around $50 each for them used, and they're WELL worth it.  About
3" thick each, and some of my favorite reading [0].

Bill

[0] Along with my 1977 and 1984 copies of "Enginerring and Operations in
    the Bell System".  I love big thick interesting technical books like
    this, and wish I could find more.

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas