[geeks] Oldest OS Still Developed

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Wed Oct 18 16:06:21 CDT 2006

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 23:00:56 +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> OS/360 was available in 3 versions, a single task version, I think was
> "open source", you could get it on microfice. I know, I've seen it.

(lots snipped)

What do you think people run on their Hercules mainframe emulators ?

The funniest thing about IBMs mainframe operating systems is the story
of VM. IBM repeatedly tried to kill it off and get customers to use
their 'real' OS, and found it impossible ... especially when their own
internal developers were busily using it to develop that 'real' OS!

Could be one of the factors why IBM dropped open source operating
systems, although the timing could be wrong.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
  No security outfit ever went broke relying on the stupidity of users.