[geeks] Ethernet Switches

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Oct 17 15:15:02 CDT 2006

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Bill Bradford wrote:

> We had a single 24-port copper gigabit switch (I don't remember the
> exact model) that had to be rebooted at least daily, or it would lock
> up.

If it's a 5324, it has amazing specs.  64MB memory, 16MB flash, IIRC
260MHz ARM processor.  With all that, it can't manage to keep up with 24
gigabit ports.  Are they doing the switching in software or something?

--
Jonathan Patschke   "The ruler demands gifts, the judge accepts bribes,
Elgin, TX            the powerful dictate what they desire--they all con-