[geeks] Ethernet Switches

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Oct 17 14:55:54 CDT 2006

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 02:52:16PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> Data point on the Dells (since I run about 80 of them at work):  Don't
> put them (PowerConnect 5324s, anyhow) on networks much bigger than a
> /24.

We had a single 24-port copper gigabit switch (I don't remember the
exact model) that had to be rebooted at least daily, or it would lock
up.

This was with 16 systems (MPI cluster) passing data back and forth.
No amount of firmware upgrades would fix it; finally the guy in charge of
the project asked us what else he could buy.  He got a 24-port unmanaged
copper gig NetGear swtich from CDW, everything worked fine with no
problems.

I think the Dell switch eventually went home with one of the other
admins, since we didn't trust it for production use anymore.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas