[geeks] bridging networks with wireless

Phil Brutsche phil at tux.obix.com
Mon Oct 16 15:41:24 CDT 2006

velociraptor wrote:
> I have a Linksys Wireless bridge that also has a 5-port switch.  It's
> an earlier version of the current WET54G.  You could simply plug a
> second interface of the Sun into it, since it's already your gateway,
> and set up the routing tables.

The Linksys "gaming adapters" are essentially the same; the 802.11b
version (WGA11B) is $ 25 US:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16873999101

The 802.11g version (WGA54G) is a little cheaper than a WET54G:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16873999102

A WET54G might be a better choice though, the "gaming adapters" don't
support anything beyond WEP security-wise.

They'll let the OP use a *NIX box to double as the policy routing
gateway.  I'm considering the former myself as the morons who wired my
new house didn't do it right.

BTW don't get the term "gaming adapter" deter you, they're intended for
use with anything that has ethernet but no real wireless options.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at tux.obix.com