[geeks] bridging networks with wireless

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Oct 16 14:55:22 CDT 2006

I know we talked about this before, but I wanted to revisit since we
don't have a habit of tracking subjects here.

I have a private class C LAN, 192.168.1 with a modem gateway.

Someone else has a private class C LAN, 192.168.100 with a cable modem
gateway and a wireless router (really, a wireless NAT box).  The unit is
a Linksys WRT54G.

Here is what I want:

I want all of my email and news to continue to go through my modem
gateway to my ISP.

All other traffic, I want to route to a friend's LAN and thus go out
over the WAN link.

Right now, I have this working, but only by putting a wireless card in
my PC, and having my gateway route through it.  That sucks because the
PC is not always online, and is often used for Windows and other
experiements.

I want to move to eliminating a server or PC as a wireless router.

The requirements:

	- both LANs must remain private class C networks and have different
	  network addresses
	- my LAN consists of one or two PC workstations, and three Sun
	  servers
	- I do not want the PCs to have a wireless card and do routing,
	  because they are not always up and not always running UNIX
	- I don't think there *are* any wireless cards for the Suns

One of the Sun machines is my primary gateway, so it could handle
routing without much problem.

What I need is something I can put on 192.168.1 and use wireless to
gateway to 192.168.100, so that the default route can be 192.168.100.1,
which is the WAN gateway.

This should be really simple, but after reading the discussion on this
list previously I went to quite a few stores and websites, and most
of what I found was either too much or too little.

For those who were looking for something similar not long ago, what did
you find and did it work out for you?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["Tara is grass, and behold how Troy lieth
low--And even the English, perchance their hour will come!"]