[geeks] this is where the mac should be

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Oct 12 11:15:18 CDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 12:08:10PM -0400, James Fogg wrote:
> Remember that one of Apples big concerns was the need for a low power
> consumption chip for laptops. IBM still hasn't addressed that issue.

They haven't?  The 970FXs use a maximum of 21 watts (typical of 17) at
1.6ghz.  If I'm not mistaken that is a good bit less than the new Core
processors.  BTW, the 970FXs are 64bits, clock for clock faster than the
FreeScale G4s, and cheaper too boot.  The Mini should have been a single
core G5.

The dual cores are a bit worse, but can still run with a typical draw of
28 watts at 1.4ghz, which I think is 1 watt worse than the slower Cores.

And these aren't brand new chips either.
--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/