[geeks] UPS batteries

Arno Kletzander Arno_1983 at gmx.de
Wed Oct 11 08:53:55 CDT 2006

Hello.

Bertrand Hutin <bhutin at yahoo.fr> wrote:
> the APC UPS serial cable IS not pin to pin, it looks like:
> Apc smart ups cable
> male ups           fem (pc)
> 4                  2 (rxd)
> 5                  3 (txd)
> 6                  5 (gnd)

Thanks for this information, I needed that as well (have a Smart 420 and a 1400). Now does somebody also know how the cable for the Compaq T1000 is pinned out?

I got one of those critters last month and it just clattered a relay when I first fed it mains, but after hanging the batteries on a charger overnight it now powers up.

BTW I don't have the user's manual, and the installation manual only tells me that pressing the standby button puts the UPS in "standby mode" (power is disconnected from the load, green "mains" LED is blinking, battery is being charged as necessary). This works, but the UPS fan keeps running nevertheless - is that normal? It stayed that way for quite some time (a good deal longer than the 24h the manual gives for a 100% charge), so I suppose it's not only while it's charging its batteries?

Thank you,

--
Arno Kletzander
Stud. Hilfskraft Informatik Sammlung Erlangen