[geeks] More on provisonal patents

Brooke Gravitt gravitt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 13:06:38 CDT 2006

On 10/4/06, Dan Duncan <dand at pcisys.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> > The next step is to through my blog, and see what things I've described
> > that I can patent and sell. :-) Blog entries are a problem as the date
> > a real patent application must be filed by is the earliest of the date
> of
> > first publication or filing of the provisional patent.
>
> I've got an idea I've been tossing about in my head for quite a while
> but I have no idea how I would go about patenting it.  Any advice?
>
> -DanD

My best friend from college is now a patent attorney in DC. The advice I
received was to get the  book "Patent it Yourself," aside from paying his
firm the $$$ to handle the patent application.

We used to have a game that my friends and I would play where we would think
up the most ridiculous idea or convergence of products and see if it was
patentable. You would be amazed at what is already patented.

Equally amazing is the range of things that are trademarked or service
marked. Hilarious names, for sure.

--Brooke