[geeks] Opinions on the HP C3x00?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Mar 30 09:50:24 CST 2006

Thu, 30 Mar 2006 @ 01:39 -0500, der Mouse said:

> >> Well, sure, but that's like saying that next to a two-year-old, most
> >> North Americans are fluent in English.
> > ...or worse, that the English are fluent in English.
>
> :-)  (Cue "Why can't the English learn to speak?" from My Fair Lady.)

Then there is that quote about two nations seperated by a common language.

I once worked on a project with two guys from London, one from the opposite
side of London, one from Brooklyn, and one from the deep south.

Five dialects of English in a single office.

> I suspect Sun did, actually, though I've never investigated enough to
> be sure.  (If Sun did, they're binary-only, and I don't run binary-only
> code.)

I used to run SunOS on cg6 equipped machines, and they were OK as long as you
didn't tax them.

Of course, that doesn't man Sun's drivers were any good.

> Perhaps. I've done some cg6-using programs that feel slick, though the
> interfaces are simple enough that I'm not sure how much that actually says.
> Don't forget that the SBus itself isn't all that fast, so saying that the
> cg6 is limited by bandwidth between cpu and card still doesn't leave you
> with all that screaming big of a deal.

True, sbus was no speed daemon, but wasn't it better than ISA?

I used to run X on an ET4000 ISA graphics card, and it ran fairly quick for
its time, certainly faster than most Sun cards.

Talk about a bottleneck: 5MB/sec shared with your graphics and SCSI
card.

The ideal setup at the time was an ET4000 and Adaptec 1540 for SCSI, because
the 1540 stayed off the bus as much as possible, and the ET4000 seemed to get
along fairly well with it.

In the PC world, you had to be very careful picking out card combinations,
because some simply would not work well together.

Ick.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [Well, I have entered the "metallic years."
Silver in my hair, gold in my teeth, lead in my ass... -- Sheldon Hall in