[geeks] Opinions on the HP C3x00?

Thu Mar 30 00:39:21 CST 2006

>> Well, sure, but that's like saying that next to a two-year-old, most
>> North Americans are fluent in English.
> ...or worse, that the English are fluent in English.

:-)  (Cue "Why can't the English learn to speak?" from My Fair Lady.)

>> A cg6 is actually pretty good; [...]
> If a cg6 is that good, then why didn't anyone ever write fast drivers
> for it?

I suspect Sun did, actually, though I've never investigated enough to
be sure.  (If Sun did, they're binary-only, and I don't run binary-only
code.)

To answer the question assuming nobody did, though, I'd speculate that
it was because it came out at a bad time, for a very limited market.

> I've never seen one that was very fast, and most of the time they
> were painfully slow.

Perhaps.  I've done some cg6-using programs that feel slick, though the
interfaces are simple enough that I'm not sure how much that actually
says.  Don't forget that the SBus itself isn't all that fast, so saying
that the cg6 is limited by bandwidth between cpu and card still doesn't
leave you with all that screaming big of a deal.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca