[geeks] Opinions on the HP C3x00?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Mar 27 16:10:06 CST 2006

On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 05:00:30PM -0500, nate at portents.com wrote:

> > There appears to be a lot of work on Linux on the Octane, including some
> > support of SI graphics for acceleration.
>
> So there is some 3D acceleration support by an open source OS on a
> workstation?  I was beginning to give up hope.

I said acceleration, not 3D acceleration.

It appears to currently support hardware blitting, hardware cursor, and
other 2D acceleration.  3D acceleration is not on the list of support
items.

However, I've seen several messages elsewhere about there being work on
that, but I can never seem to google up anything useful on this topic
anyway I want to try to refer to what I've seen before.

> Is there any sort of comprehensive list out there that describes what
> workstations 3D graphics cards are supported by an open source OS?

Not that I'm aware of.  I'm not aware of any workstation 3D cards that
are support for 3D yet, let alone a list of them.

It's a real bummer.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net