[geeks] What desk toy or "tchotchke" says "geek" to you?

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Mon Mar 27 05:45:58 CST 2006

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Sun, 26 Mar 2006 @ 20:40 -0600, Bill Bradford said:
>>Nowdays I just carry my Leatherman and sometimes a Cold Steel folding
>>tanto blade for heavier stuff that would break/bend the blade on the
>>Leatherman.
>
> My tanto is blued, and I hate to use it for anything because it messes up the
> finish. It has a black titanium body. The lock is actually kind of ghetto in
> my opinion, but then I'm spoiled by a knifemaker I know who makes lock systems
> which are a work of art.
>
> I have several leathermen in cars, toolboxes, and cases for carrying.
>
> Amazing little tool, much more useful to me than a swiss army knife.

Oh yeah.  The Leatherman is definitely a GeekTool.  As for carryign
another folder for work too heavy for the Leatherman, though, while I've
seen some Gerber and Spyderco folders I kine, if it's too heavy work for
a Leatherman I'd just as soon not rely on a folder at all.

I used to have a little 3" fixed-blade Buck that the NRA sent me as
promo bling.  At the time I was pissed off that they (or the marketing
company they were using) was wasting half the membership money I was
sending them on shipping me bling I didn't want, but I came to
appreciate it as a very nice and handy little knife.  Conveniently,
being under four inches and in a quite nice little belt sheath, it was
legal in California.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen it in about six months.  I assume, and
hope, it's still in the house somewhere, but I have absolutely no idea
where.