[geeks] What desk toy or "tchotchke" says "geek" to you?

Chris Petrov chrisp at cse.unsw.edu.au
Mon Mar 27 01:16:25 CST 2006

On 27/03/2006, at 5:21 PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

> Mon, 27 Mar 2006 @ 14:54 +1100, Chris Petrov said:
>
>> Can't say that I disagree in general apart from the fact it seems to
>> be an awful lot of people (certainly compared to other industrialized
>> countries)
>
> Keep in mind, other countries often have a habit of lying about their
> stats.

so the rest of the world lies about their firearms death rate?
possible I guess, but It would appear to me they have less guns...

PMID: 8485675 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

> The US is one of the most open and honest countries in the world.
>
>> and that the suicide stat seems particularly alarming
>> given that it's generally accepted that someone who does is of
>> unsound mind.
>
> Take guns away and they'll just find another way.

and some research indicates just that...  which points to other
underlying issues I guess...

PMID: 15850034 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PMID: 15217033 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
PMID: 15141925 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

> Or, they'll aquire a gun when they decide to off themselves.
>
> Make guns illegal, and organized crime will start manufacturing them,
> and that's where the suicide will get his gun.
>
> The whole idea of gun control is completely stupid.
>
> Everything that has ever been banned has generally made organized
> crime rich,
> crime rates go up, and made aquiring the banned item only slightly
> more
> difficult than normal.

at no point did I say "ban handguns" I'm simply questioning the
rationale behind taking it to work with you and everywhere else you
go and to what end? particularly given the escalating rate of
depression in disaffected youth.

no matter though,  as I mentioned previously it appears to be self
regulating.

Cheerio
cp