[geeks] What desk toy or "tchotchke" says "geek" to you?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Mar 27 00:17:31 CST 2006

Mon, 27 Mar 2006 @ 13:21 +1100, Chris Petrov said:

> Every two years more Americans die from firearm injuries than the
> total number of American soldiers killed during the 8-year Vietnam
> War. In 2003, the total number of people killed by guns in the United
> States was 30,136.

If you are trying to say those were accidents, then the number is 100%
bullshit.

I suspect it includes murder, suicide, etc.

The most reliable stats I've seen is there are very few accidental shootings
in the US, and it is not even in the top ten causes of accidental death.

The number one causes of accidental death are automobiles and medical
practice.

Doctors make patient killing mistakes by the thousands. Should we outlaw them?

> - Based on data from CDC National Center for Health Statistics
> WISQARS online data collection system, 2006.

Either the CDC has an agenda, or you have misinterpreted the data.

> that's a lot of criminals and outside invaders...

The most reliable stats I've seen is just around 1500 accidental deaths in the
last N years, where N is a number I've forgotten.

> they consume more lead than necessary? i.e. the Romans love of
> lead... lead lined vats for the sapa, lead lined aqueducts etc.

They consume lead because it works.

Newer rounds will get rid of the lead and also have other benefits.

> Benjamin Franklin, Printer,1786
>
>      "The Opinion of the mischievous Effect from Lead is at least
> above Sixty Years old, and you will observe with Concern how long a
> useful Truth may be known and exist before it is generally receiv'd
> and practic'd on."

...and mercury, and chlorine, and even oxygen in high amounts.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["We have nothing to prove" -- Alan Dawkins]