[geeks] What desk toy or "tchotchke" says "geek" to you?

Chris Petrov chrisp at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sun Mar 26 18:56:33 CST 2006

On 26/03/2006, at 11:01 PM, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 26, 2006 at 09:01:15PM +1100, Chris Petrov wrote:
>> I've heard that you can drive to a bottle shop (dive through liquor)
>> in texas and get booze "mit verborgener Waffe" and drive away
>> drinking recently purchased booze. Talk about 'fear and loathing'
>
> We have drive-through liquor stores (few and far between; I've only
> seen two or three in ten years of living in Texas), and drinking while
> driving or transporting an open container of alcohol is as illegal as
> it's ever been.
>
> Bill
>
> --
> Bill Bradford
> Houston, Texas

ah, well, another myth destroyed ;-)...  Although,  whilst I don't
agree with the erosion of civil liberties underway in Australia (the
U.S. is much better off in this respect methinks) I couldn't ever see
the need for carrying a gun around unless I was hunting or embroiled
in a civil war . It's almost impossible to get this sort of permit
over here, you have to be military, constabulary, outback helicopter
pilot (mustering)  or a primary producer (farmer) with a real need
and even then the weapon is usually checked in and out etc.

Let me just say that I did know people over the years that had this
sort of permit AND very quick tempers... which was a little
disconcerting, still no-one shot me, so thats good eh? kept me in
line it did,  although, (scratches head) I could see it limiting free
speech a little...

On a lighter note... I presume everyone has seen the comedian Chris
Rock's spin? i.e. bullet control.

http://tinyurl.com/femuj

Cheerio
cp