[geeks] Wiping disks FAST?

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Fri Mar 24 10:07:01 CST 2006

FYI - I once took a disk I had formatted HFS+ from my Mac, migrated the
data to another drive, then reformatted it NTFS (not the quick format, the
full format).  The drive I had migrated the data to on my Mac failed a
week later, and using a data recovery program I was able to recover all,
and I mean *all* data from the old HFS+ drive that had been reformatted
NTFS.  The full format in NTFS writes a directory structure and then
simply does a verify for the rest of the drive.  So the moral of the story
is that a full NTFS format in Windows does very little to actually erase a
disk.

- Nate