[geeks] PS/2 Keyboard/mouse 7 VGA over Cat5?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Mar 12 10:38:33 CST 2006

>From: Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net>
>Date: Sun Mar 12 09:56:48 CST 2006
>To: The Geeks List <geeks at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [geeks] PS/2 Keyboard/mouse 7 VGA over Cat5?

>On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 10:47, James Braid wrote:
>> Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> > Hello all,
>> A little box at each end (only one end needs power - it sends power over
>> the cable as well). They work well enough so long as you're not running
>> a super-high resolution. Should be able to pick them up on ebay cheap
>> enough now.
>
>Of course, there is VNC as well, should be responsive on any kind of
>link over 1mbps.
>
>Add a PortMaster to your setup for access to serial ports (all your
>machines can be configured over serial, right?

I'm trying to get maximal use out of a 2x8 KVM by extending one of the heads upstairs (Cat5e KVM extension is what I am thinking).

I'll take a look into the LongView product mentioned elsewhere, it seems a good fit for what I'm thinking.

I have a separate 1x10 KVM for my Sun hardware, AND a portmaster for serial access to headless systems.

I can remotely login to all machines once up, I just want maximal geek factor in my network setup. ;^)

Thanks,

Lionel