[geeks] How is Solarix x86 on notebooks?

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Sun Mar 12 04:13:57 CST 2006

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 11:56:18PM -0600, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Linux is also nice on current laptops, if you can get past any
> driver-support issues (granted Linux is much better than Solaris for x86
> hardware support). Linux will liely support wireless - Solaris will not.

Indeed. Other than ACPI S3 suspend-to-RAM, Linux (Debian testing) works
well on my new-ish HP Compaq NC6220.

If you prefer one of the BSDs to Linux, FreeBSD 6.0 reportedly has good
ACPI support (a must today, with even Thinkpads moving away from supporting
APM in addition to ACPI). NetBSD and OpenBSD ACPI support is still in its
infancy, but coming along quickly (I have NetBSD 3.0 on my laptop too, but
haven't had a chance to upgrade to -current to test the latest ACPI
patches).

I've never used Solaris x86 on a laptop, but I know Casper Dik is quite a
fan of it on his Acer Ferrari :)

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://weblogs.turner.org.za/mj/